1919 – 100 YEARS AGO
The work of putting in the new cement sidewalks on the south side of Lincoln Highway from Park Avenue to a point near Pearl Street has been started. The old cracked sidewalk which was recently condemned is being torn up and the contractor, Peter Christianson, expects to have the work completed long before winter sets in.
Property owners are warned to be on their guard for the next two nights in view of the fact that the annual Halloween stunts are about due. Halloween is tomorrow night but it has been known in past years to have articles missing from their accustomed places several nights before October 31, so again we say “Beware.”
A new fire alarm box has been installed in the yards of the south plant of the American Steel and Wire Co. The box will be known as Box No. 28 and will be for the exclusive use of the steel company. The corporation has a fire fighting force of its own but depends upon the city for its water pressure and for that reason asked for the installation of a box connected with the city alarm system.
WANTED – Laborers, especially coal shovelers. Apply at once ready to work at the DeKalb Sycamore Electric Co.
The pipe organ and New Armory orchestra furnish the music for the different attractions at the New Armory theater.
B. S. Jones, who about 34 years ago was a resident of this community, is here from Atwood, Kansas, to spend a few days with his sisters, Mesdames H. A. Homan and Robert Topp. Mr. Jones found much to wonder at and admire in the progress made by DeKalb since he left the city. He was taken around the normal school and through the manufacturing district and expressed himself as highly pleased with things.
The first direct inconvenience, resulting from the strike of the coal miners of the country was felt in DeKalb this morning when the eastbound train No. 28, known as the Sterling passenger train failed to arrive and investigation showed that the train had been taken off the schedule until further notice on account of the shortage of fuel.
The Morse family who are traveling from Michigan to South Dakota and waiting here for repairs for their car, gave a musical program at the M. E. church Sunday evening which was much enjoyed by all. They also helped with the music during the Sunday school.
1944 – 75 YEARS AGO
Small boys playing with matches, setting fire to leaves and other accumulated rubbish on Augusta Avenue Saturday afternoon, caused a large plot of grass to catch fire, which quickly was out of control. It was necessary to turn in an alarm for the fire department and the boys made quick work with the old reliable and effective brooms.
A tabulation of records kept at The Chronicle, which are as complete as humanly possible to make them, shows that 110 young men of the DeKalb community, or having their next of kin in DeKalb, have been listed as dead, wounded, missing or prisoners of the enemy.
Rotarians of Sycamore, evidently of the belief they know the game of tenpins, have issued a challenge to the DeKalb Rotary club bowlers, and this match should be something for the gallery to watch.
In and Out Sycohi: Please! Someone come to our rescue and help us out with our chaperone problem at the Retnec. It’s only proper that we should have them! Honest, the seats are nice and soft and you can bring your knitting, darning, or sewing along and make yourself right at home. Doesn’t that sound like an easy job? We behave ourselves well and surely would appreciate your help.
1969 – 50 YEARS AGO
“How long does it take pumpkin to grow?” was one of the questions asked a Sycamore boy by Ray Rayner Wednesday morning when four starry-eyed local youngsters appeared on his TV show to promote the Eighth Annual Sycamore Pumpkin Festival. His reply of “longer that corn” brought quite a few chuckles from Mr. Rayner and the stage hands. The four children (Charlie Herleman, Colette Davis, Julie Carter and Brad Stone) explained how their entries were made, gave several “plugs” to local businesses and told Mr. Rayner of their future plans.
The pollution problem involving the Newquist Foundry will be solved according to reports submitted last night at a meeting of the DeKalb Air and Water Pollution Control Commission. In a letter to the commission, Thomas Teetor, president of the iron casting foundry, which is located at 1115 E. Locust Street wrote: “We will replace our iron melting foundry cupola with an (electric) induction iron melting furnace that has a 7,000-pound capacity crucible. This new furnace will eliminate the source of (air pollution) emissions.”
Sue Driscoll and Mary Ann Ori report the highlight of their first trip abroad was their visit to East Berlin and Rome. The girls have recently returned after spending three weeks traveling in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.
Three rough and ready youngsters from Sycamore, Mike Peironi, Kurt Kozlowski and Mark Vancil, were winners in the Punt, Pass and Kick zone competition held in Rockford last Saturday. They will travel to Bettendorf, Iowa, to compete in the regionals tomorrow.
1994 – 25 YEARS AGO
A new logo in celebration of Northern Illinois University’s centennial celebration was unveiled by NIU President John La Tourette at a press conference Thursday on campus. Featuring the campus’ oldest building, Altgeld Hall, the logo commemorates the founding of the school in the summer of 1895 and the start of the first class in 1899.
HELP WANTED – The Confectionary has two part-time openings in the DeKalb store. The jobs combine some candy making, some clerking and, of course, some drudgery. It’s hard work but good work, please apply in person.
You’ll probably see a television commercial early next year that was shot in Hinckley. That’s right, Hinckley. In late September, Chic By H.I.S. Inc. from New York City shot a 60-second advertisement for their men’s jeans line at the home of Richard and Janet Childs south of Hinckley on Bastion Road, just east of East Sandwich Road. It will air nationally starting in January 1995.
Anyone interested in joining the Illinois Chapter of the new Lincoln Highway Association should attend a meeting on Saturday at Matthew Boone’s Restaurant, 122 S. First St. in DeKalb. The group will celebrate the 80th anniversary of the first mile of Lincoln Highway, the first paved interstate road traversing the nation from coast to coast. The first mile of the road was constructed in November of 1913, about seven miles west of the old DeKalb Post Office, near Malta.
Thanks to a joint venture among the DeKalb County Forest Preserve District, state and local conservation groups, and a number of businesses, foundations and individuals, one of the last, if not the last, piece of original wetland in the county, has been preserved. The Wilkinson-Renwick Marsh, located along Annie Glidden Road, between Route 64 and Old State Road, is the newest price to be added to the forest preserve mosaic.
• Compiled by the Joiner History Room, DeKalb County Archives.